Adding assessment items to Gradebook
Complete the Gradebook Setup Wizard before adding assessment items to Gradebook. This tutorial explains how to set up the following types of assessment items:
- Weighted Assessment Item (percentile)
- Letter Grade Assessment Item (requires Letter Grade Scheme)
1. In the navigation bar, click Assessments. Select Grades from the dropdown menu. Under the Manage Grades tab, click New, and select Item.
2. Choose Numeric (most popular) to assign a value out of a specified total number of points (this option cannot be changed later). Choose Selectbox to choose a letter grade from a dropdown menu.
Assessment Item Properties Tab
- Name: Name students will see
- Short Name: Name that will go in your gradebook
- Category: n/a
- Maximum Points: What this item will be graded out of
- Weight: What percentage this item is worth in the course
- Can Exceed: Allows a self-graded item (quiz, etc.) to be calculated over 100%
- Bonus: This ENTIRE item is a bonus item. It won’t be counted towards the overal calculations. If a student scores 100% on this bonus, they will recive a bonus of the Weight you have assigned the Item.
- Display options (not shown in screenshot): Here you can overide the default view details that have been chosen in for both student and personal views.
Note: By default, entered grades are immeditely visible to students. To restrict visibiility of grades until after all grades have been entered, click the Restrictions tab and select Hide this grade item.