Terms of Reference
The purpose of the eLearning Discovery Working Group (eDWG) is to engage the university’s eLearning community in a discovery process related to IT that includes:
- reviewing and assessing the current state of the campus’ eLearning resources, activities, associated costs and user needs;
- identifying and prioritizing opportunities for short term fixes and/or improvements;
- articulating recommendations to the CIO for longer-term priorities and requirements of eLearning at the U of C; and,
- providing input into the development of IT components of the Institutional Learning and Teaching Plan (ILTP).
The eDWG acts in an advisory capacity and is accountable to the Chief Information Officer (CIO) of the University of Calgary.
- Identify and validate the U of C’s eLearning stakeholder segments and demographic information
- Engage faculty, students and staff in reviewing the current Blackboard platform, including:
- gathering and documenting their eLearning needs and requirements;
- identifying what is working well and what is not; and,
- preparing a prioritized list of desired fixes and new features.
- Develop an inventory of current eLearning resources and activities by Faculty across the University.
- Assess the costs of operating and maintaining the Blackboard/eLearning environment.
- Prepare a recommended approach to addressing the needs of our stakeholder communities
- Promote awareness and visibility of engagement activities among key stakeholders.
- Empower stakeholders to share their needs in a way that can meaningfully improve eLearning at the entire University.
- D’Arcy Norman (chair) - IT Partner, Teaching & Learning Centre and Faculty of Law
- Weston Yoshimura - IT Partner, Faculty of Education
- Bill Richardson - IT Partner, Faculty of Kinesiology
- Robert Wensveen - IT Partner, Continuing Education
- Rosalie Pedersen (TLC) - Interim Director, Teaching & Learning Centre
- Patrick Kelly (TLC) - Manager, Instructional Design, Teaching & Learning Centre
- Leeanne Morrow (Library)
- CIO/Provost designate – Teacher
- CIO/Provost designate – Student
The eDWG will be working to actively engage faculty, students, staff and administration in order to support an organic and representative cross-section of the entire University community. As needed, the eDWG will identify and engage additional representatives from various stakeholder groups to support specific activities.
The Committee will meet weekly, with a standing meeting each Thursday at 1pm. Additional meetings will be scheduled, as needed.